This blog started as a week-by-week look at our lives in 2010 (hence the address) in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Now, with the closing of my other blog, from-russia, I've decided to extend this blog to cover 2011 as well (despite the address--which really bugs me now that it's inaccurate).

Sunday, May 15, 2011

forced hiatus

My camera was stolen.

I suspect it was the new worker in the produkti right under my flat. But there's no way to prove it. So. I have to find another chunk of change to replace it.

Unfortunately there is no replacing the photos that were still on there. I don't have anything on my home computer after Cyprus. There might be some on my school computer...but I try to keep that school-only.

If I were a thief and I stole a camera, the FIRST thing I'd do is erase all the photos. That way, if the person saw me, [and there is the possibility someone else picked it up in the produckti--I had it out of my bag and on the counter to loan my friend seven rubles so he could buy a Coke. New girl wouldn't take his larger bill. (My friend Scott's voice is ringing in my head, "Don't help, Kate." He wasn't being cynical or opposed to helping others. He was just pointing out that every time *I* "help" it somehow comes back and bites me. No good deed going unpunished. And yet...I can't help helping.) New girl says my friend picked up my camera and put the strap around his neck. She said it was big. It is big...but friend says he never touched it. So either it's a different person--new girl wouldn't listen when I repeatedly told her it was NOT my friend and asked who it was; just kept saying it was him--or new girl is lying.] and tried to reclaim the camera by pointing out pictures of her daughter on the camera, she couldn't. So if I were a thief, I'd do that first.

I just hope my thieving instincts are correct and no one is walking around with photos of Lexi. That makes me a little sick.

So...it's unlikely there will be photos until we're back in the US.

Oh--we have a house! We'll be in a little farmhouse built in 1865 in Cincinnati. It's small but there is lots of outside space and a park four houses away.

2 comments:

  1. oh no thats terrible to hear.awesome about the farm house though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your camera. As for the pictures of your daughter on it, you are moving very far away so maybe that will ease your mind some.

    I bet the farmhouse is adorable. Is your family in that area?

    I'm sure you are very busy with end of year things at school and packing for the big move home.

    Good luck with everything and I look forward to seeing new posts once you are back in the country.

    ReplyDelete